Illinois Beach State Park and Six Flags

We left Minneapolis around noon, headed towards the Chicago area. We arrived at our campground fairly late, around 9pm, and basically hit the sack. The next morning was my birthday and we were planning to go to Six Flags! But, first,  I woke up pretty early and had time to go for a run and explore our campground. It could be I was in a fantastic mood because of my birthday, but I fell in love with this state park. It was my favorite of the whole trip.


We were staying at Illinois Beach State Park, which is about 1 hour north of Chicago and located right on Lake Michigan.





After my run, I explained how beautiful this place was to the kids and Ryan and we all took a trek to the beach. I think the kids were eager to get to the amusement park, but it was a bit early still, and they were indulging me for my birthday.



The beach was a lot of fun. We skipped rocks, took glamour poses, and collected rocks. Ryan explained the three different types of rock formations to the kids, Sedimentary, Metamorphic and Igneous. Then we had the kids find examples of each kind. There were beautiful rocks on the shore of Lake Michigan. I collected a jar's worth, not sure what I'll do with them.


Birthday Glam

Family Hams

Rock contemplations

Finally, it was time for six flags. It was a great day. Rex was 42" tall which pushed him into the medium sized ride range. We were able to ride the Demon roller coaster (upside down), and the Whizzer and go on the Logger's Run flume ride. We were extra delighted when Ryan got soaked the water ride. 
Welcome to Six Flags and Happy Birthday!

I sat out on the spin rides!


Miraculously won medium sized prized for both Fay and Rex
Slushie, yum.
Soaked!

After a successful day at Six Flags, we frantically searched Yelp for an acceptable dinner place (still my birthday). Ryan picked out a bar/dinner place that seemed pretty good on Yelp, and then it completely blew us away. I can't really do it justice in pictures....we stayed in the more casual area on the lower level which had gorgeous art on the walls and fantastic lighting. We had a booth, which is always a plus. The cocktails were yummy and the food was too. We weren't completely sure we'd find something for the kids to eat, but then "cheese bread" saved the day. 

My two guys

Birthday dinner with mommy
If you are even in the Chicago area or have just left Six Flags, I highly recommend this place! Its called Tavern Steakhouse and Lounge in Libertyville, IL.

The Lounge at Tavern Steakhouse and Lounge in Libertyville, IL

We were pretty exhausted at the end of the day. We stayed over one more night and then left the next morning for a LOOOOOOONG drive to Sandusky, Ohio. If the Illinois campsite was my favorite, we were headed for the other end of the spectrum. I guess when planning an RV trip online, not all the campsites can be winners.

Next Up: Hanging with the Mayor in Sandusky Ohio...




Comments

  1. Sounds like a great birthday celebration… You make me want to have taken a motorhome trip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment